Monday, April 13, 2009

Tigers legend Mark Fidrych dies at 54

What a sad week in baseball. The latest news: one of my favorite historical figures in baseball has left the world. Massachusetts native Mark Fidrych was found dead under a dump truck on his hometown farm. I'm truly sorry I wasn't around to see all of "the Bird's" legendary 1976 season myself, but I've seen enough of his interviews and highlights to know that this was one of the most charismatic, interesting, and strange pitchers ever to take the mound (and that's saying a lot). He immediately endeared himself to me the first time I ever saw a story about him on ESPN, and I spent a good amount of time researching his oddities and fantastic pitching talent (not to mention his tragic fall from the spotlight due to injuries). This man was a treasure of the sport, and he will be missed.

Image courtesy of Windy City Musings

No comments: